We all have room for improvement; individually and in our marriages.

With divorce on the rise, I feel a desire to do my part to reach out to those that are in need of a lift in the right direction with getting out of the slump, pulling you back up from the end of your thread, or just enhancing your already great marriage!

There are some fantastic resources for every marriage.
Marriage IS worth fighting for.
Love IS worth fighting & working for!

Blinkie

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Different Opinions

Every post is open for comments, but I would really love to open this one up for discussion. I would love to get your feedback.

What do you do if you and your spouse has a different opinion? How do you handle it?

My charm and I are learning to deal with disagreements, including different opinions. Here is my opinion on this subject:

I find that many times throughout my marriage that if the issue is something that I don't hold with high importance, many times the best thing, in my opinion is to just let it go. It isn't about winning, it isn't about who is right and who is wrong, it is about loving the other person enough to let it go if it is that important to them.

If the disagreement is regarding parenting or regarding your children in general (even stepchildren) - out of respect the discussion should be met in privacy between you and your spouse. Again, in my opinion, this helps the marriage itself stay within oneness, stay as equals, partners, a team. If needs be, you can come back to the situation with the children and share what the ultimate decision is. But ultimately taking sides between your children and your spouse can be really hurtful and demean the individual as well as the marriage itself. Also, it shows children that they have power over their parents which turns into disrespect.

Those are just two of the things that come to mind that I see as being helpful. What are your thoughts, ideas? What helps you in your marriage?

No comments:

Post a Comment